Sunday, December 5, 2010

Road Touring Bicycle

AF Petite Theresa
Theresa Scholz then rode a 17lb Petite in , a 6-day, 70-100 mile a day affair - and her first major event by bike.
Just recently, I was asked to demo a canary-yellow  in a Time Trial at in Philly, and at the. Now, having not ridden drop bars for 15 years, I was a little hesitant. But now I am hooked - so much so, I would consider touring the paved and semi-paved world on this little dynamo and hitching a ride when the mud got thick.
The bike is incredibly fast, and feels extremely stable standing and peddling - once I got use to the feeling of these bars compared to the H-bars on my 
The Bike Friday road bikes are what really separate a BF from most other folding bikes - the bike is solid, sprightly, and feels just like my very nice (for its time) Viscount Sebring road bike from when I was 13 - an aluminium wonder with column shifters that cost an exorbitant $A175 almost 20 years ago (my brother's Peugeot wa $75). But the Pro fits me a whole lot better.
The 451 feel even faster than my 406's with the Stelvio Kevlar 1 1/8" tires I've been raving about forever - so the moral to the story is, if you want to go fast, first and foremost, get a 451-wheel Bike Friday. That is, one of the models.
Because we were in a hurry I did not get time to get the stem sized right - this bike normally come with the Bike Friday - we simply found one that was about right and painted it for the events. Having ridden it 60 miles back from Sutherlin to Eugene I probably need a slightly shorter stem made. Of course, getting the stem right is all part of the fitting program offered with every custom Bike Friday!
This demo model is also the first one to be fitted with Shimano's new Capreo 9-tooth cogs, that the BF Parakeet chirped about - which means little wheeled bikes can now have ALL the gears of the big wheeled bikes without needing to use the big front chainrings. See the photo gallery (link below).
What makes the Pocket Rocket Pro a Petite?
- It is constructed of thinner, lighter tubing - It has a smaller 1 1/8" headset compared the normal 1 1/4" headset - lighter wheel set options - that is, lighter rims and spokes. - Several women-specific components are available, like shorter cranks (165 down to 140 mm, as opposed to the normal 170-175 mm), special inserts to make brake levers more accessible to smaller hands, special smaller-scale drop bars, and so on.
Read more about the

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Home | Privacy Policy